Rav Shlomo of Chelm (1717-1781). Born in Zamosc, he became Rav of Chelm and Lvov (Lemberg). author of Merkevet Hamishnah, a work which is considered by many to be among the most important commentaries on Rambam’s Mishneh Torah. He also wrote Kuntres Breichos Bechesbon, a collection of Talmudic math problems and their solutions.
Rav Avraham Matisyahu Friedman of Stefanest, Romania (1848-1933). Only son of Rav Menachem Nachum (fourth son of the Rizhiner Rebbe). Succeeded his father after the latter’s petira in 1869.
Rav Yonah Ganzweig (1994), pioneer rabbinical leader in Los Angeles, his last years spent as Mora D’asra of Kehillas Tiferes ZviToday in History – 21 Tammuz
· Jews were barred from settling in Brazil, 1567.
· Don Lope de Vera y Alarcon, a young Christian scholar and Spanish nobleman who was drawn to Judaism by the outrages of the Inquisition, was burned alive for refusing to yield to the Inquisition, 1644.
· Bendin (Poland) ghetto uprising, 1942.
· PLO’s Palestinian National Council adopt covenant calling for Israel’s destruction, 1968.
· Saddam Hussein became president of Iraq.