Matzav.com Hurricane Coverage:
- Irene predicted to make landfall Sunday as a Category 1 storm between New Jersey and Cape Cod.
- Hurricane and flood warnings issued for Long Island, New York City and suburban Rockland, Westchester and Putnam counties.
- Mandatory evacuations ordered for New York City residents in low-lying coastal areas that are home to 370,000.
- Governor Cuomo declared a state of emergency and the state’s Office of Emergency Management increased staffing in its underground bunker.
- New York City’s public transit to be halted around noon Saturday because of the hurricane. The five New York-area airports will stop allowing incoming flights at noon Saturday. Many departures were also canceled.
- Taxis in New York City were to switch from metered fares to zone fares
- Forecasters predicted storm would pass over, or more likely, near New Jersey by midday Sunday.
- Hurricane warning in effect for coastal and southern counties.
- Mandatory evacuations ordered for nearly 1 million visitors and residents of Cape May County, coastal Atlantic County and Long Beach Island.
- Governor Christie and President Obama declare state of emergency.
- Governor Christie says more than 5,000 people already in shelters as hurricane threatens.
- New Jersey Transit trains and buses to shut down Saturday.
- Last hurricane to hit the state was remnants of Hurricane Floyd in 1999, which caused major flooding inland.
- Atlantic City casinos shutting down for only the third time since gambling was legalized 33 years ago.
- Irene predicted to make landfall Sunday between New Jersey and Cape Cod, in Massachusetts. Storm’s track forecast through central parts of Connecticut.
- Hurricane warning for coast.
- Fairfield ordered a mandatory evacuation for shoreline residents as of noon Saturday, affecting 5,000 to 6,000 people.
- Millstone nuclear power plant to be shut down if winds exceed
- 90 mph.
- Last hurricane to hit was Bob in 1991.
- Irene likely to cause prolonged power outages and flooding in low-lying areas along the shoreline.
- President Barack Obama and Governor Malloy declare state of emergency. National Guard mobilized.