Passaic: Mother, Child Killed By Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After Snow Blocks Car Tailpipe


Passaic, NJ – A mother and her one-year-old child died last night after the tailpipe of their car became covered with snow, poisoning them with carbon monoxide, police said.

Officers responded to 2000 Mazda parked at a home on Sherman Avenue at around 8:10 p.m., where they found three unresponsive people, Detective Andy White of the Passaic Police Department said.

They were transferred to St. Mary’s Hospital, where the 23-year-old mother and one-year-old boy were pronounced dead, said White.

The third occupant, a 3-year-old girl, was listed in critical condition. She was later transferred to St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center where she was listed as critical, said White.

An investigation revealed that the family was waiting inside while another family member was outside shoveling around the car but the tailpipe was covered with snow, flooding the inside with carbon monoxide.

Police said drivers should be aware of their exhaust pipes during large pileups of snow.

Source: Fausto Giovanny Pinto | NJ Advance Media for

{ Newscenter}



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here