Fire Caused By Menorah Candles Does $160,000 Damage


fire-buffaloThe last night of Chanukah turned tragic for an Amherst family Friday night when their menorah candles set off a fire that spread through much of their home, causing $160,000 in damage and killing a family cat, officials said today.The residents of 143 Delta Road in the Eggertsville section of town were not injured by the fire, but one of their two cats died in the blaze.

Firefighters said they were called to the Delta Road home at about 10:35 p.m.

A dresser in a bedroom had caught fire from a menorah candle, police said. Residents attempted to extinguish the blaze, but were unable to. When firefighters arrived – about three minutes after being called – the fire had spread from the bedroom to the attic, and into another bedroom and bathroom, according to Amherst fire officials. The remainder of the one-story brick ranch sustained smoke and water damage.

The house sustained about $100,000 in damage, while damage to the contents was estimated at $60,000.

Responding to the fire were the Eggertsville Hose Co. as well as the Snyder Fire Dept. and North Bailey Fire Co. Amherst police were also at the scene.

Fire officials said there were smoke detectors in the home, but that they were not working.

{Buffalo News/ Newscenter}



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here